When horses offered the only mode of transportation, Charles Silas Parsons kept the hooves fresh and wheels turning in Bonac, among his other skills. The local blacksmith and carriage maker built his shop in 1886 on Fireplace Road.
A century later, it was moved between Pussy’s Pond and Accabonac Creek and restored. Featuring vertical-board siding, the building sits in the Springs Historic District, where several 19th century farmhouses, barns and community buildings harken back to the days of yore, yet serve modern-day purposes, such as gallery spaces and gathering spots.
Worth a visit to check out a piece of local history at Parsons Blacksmith Shop.
This article appeared in the Labor Day issue of Behind The Hedges magazine. Read the digital edition here.